Monday, May 5, 2008

Teaching chess...

I am teaching my older two children (6 and 4) and my wife how to play chess. I am using two WONDERFUL books:
Chess for Children and
Chess Workbook for Children (This one I bought from WholesaleChess.com )

The first book is very good for introduction to the game in bite-sized pieces. The second book does a much better job on openings, tactics, and it has lots of exercises.

I have also gotten my kids a chess game for the computer which the kids really enjoy:
Learn to Play Chess with Fritz and Chesster It does a REALLY good job of being patient while teaching basics like how to checkmate with various piece combinations. (For those of you that are stuck on a Windows box, there is a version for Windows

The computer game does have some annoying characteristics such as it doesn't take up the whole screen. arrrghh. Oh well, it doesn't bother the kids.

Also, Philip (4) has recently gotten me to leave him a chess puzzle every day before I leave for work. I bought the Polgar book for getting mate in 1 puzzles to leave him each day. (WARNING: This book is not for the faint of heart. It is HUGE.)

No comments: